Friday, December 12, 2008

Getting all better!

I am now tonsil and adenoid-less. It has been a little over a week and all is going well. I have to admit it has been a little bumpier road than I anticipated but I think it has all gone really well. My mom came into town on the 3rd and we went out that evening with my brother Kevin for (what the nurse later joked as) "my final meal" and I went in to surgery at 7 on Thursday.

We had only planned on taking my tonsils out but when they got into my surgery my adenoid tissue was also badly infected so they decided to take that out too. We went to an outpatient surgical center owned by a group of doctors, that way we were able to avoid the overhead costs of a hospital. I really liked it there. It was very low-key but very efficient. In and out and very informative. But it was my first time going under all the way and I had some very interesting reactions after. We couldn't talk about it because it would make me laugh and trying to laugh hurt so much. But apparently I woke up crying, very hard and saying "Thank You" to everyone I saw. I kept trying to get out of bed and thank every random person that passed my door. I believe my exact quote to my nurse was "Thank you, Thank you so much for being nice. And mean people aren't nice and you are nice. I bet your children are nice" This was followed by many other humorous quotes which I won't go into now but I am sure my mother will share with you if you would like to hear about it. It was really funny:-)

I had heard all these horror stories about how much it hurt and how miserable the recovery was suppose to be. I think I was very blessed my pain didn't seem that bad (thanks to my wonderful narcotic) and I was so lucky to have so much help. But I understand what they mean by 4-7 days after is the worst part of the recovery. The scabs begin to fall off and you start getting some really powerful inner ear pain. But the worst part for me was the nausea that accompanied this. I had had the stomach flu the day before I went into surgery and I already have a week stomach so I think I was just set up for it. It also didn't help that both medications cause nausea. It was Ok for the first 3 or 4 days, I through up only a few times. But from Sunday afternoon on I was unable to keep anything down, even water. It was wretched. I was starting to get dehydrated and it was a blessed hour when we were finally able to get the anti-nausea medication on Monday morning. So from then on its been looking up.

My mom left to return to Idaho yesterday and Luke and I are kickin' it here by ourselves. I am doing good. My face is still really swollen, and I still can't talk. But I am pretty much up and about and doing most things. I still get really tired and have to take it easy and sleep lots. I can't tell if that is because of the medication or because I just don't have the energy. Eating is the worst. Nothing sounds good and everything hurts. I eat a frozen Ensure in the mornings, lots of water and I suck on saltines for most of the rest of the day. But hey, at least I am not even tempted to eat all the Christmas sweets in my kitchen.

Thanks for all the help and phone calls. We really appreciate it. Andrew is done!!! Yea!!! he takes his last test on Monday and it is so good to see so much of the stress off his shoulders. Well for now we are staying in Provo and continuing the job hunt. Andrew is working at Red Robin in the mean time and we hope to be moving to our new job sometime in January.

3 comments:

Erin said...

Kristi, I had no idea you were getting your tonsils and everything out! If you guys need a babysitter for Luke this week, like tomorrow while you hubby takes his test please call me and I'll come over and get Luke and take him to our house to play with my kids. My kids would LOVE IT!

I can watch Luke anytime this week except wednesday afternoon so really if you need help with anything or just want some sleep please call me, I would LOVE to help! my phone number is 801-420-8373.

Erin P

Allison said...

YAY! I am glad you are feeling better!

Devony said...

I'm sorry that you've been throwing up but glad they got everything out and that it wasn't quite as bad as you thought! I really love you on medication - remember in State Fair when you at a bag of skittles and took 2 tylenol? I still remember Alli talking about how you saw cows on Broadway! You're so entertaining. Love you hon and would love to chat when you actually feel up to it! Let us know when you find out where you'll be moving and when!