Monday, March 2, 2009

Grateful.

I like days when you have realizations or when you get perspective. They are days you change for the better! My best friend from high school Alli is pregnant with her first child, Grant. She is due in just a couple of weeks and her son has a heart defect called HLHS, Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome. I can easily say she is my super hero. It basically means that the left side of her son's heart is severely underdeveloped and without treatment, it is fatal. Her and her husband are amazing and are anxiously gaining information and making preparations to give Grant the best possible situation for when he enters the world on March 18. I follow her blogs daily and can't help but think about her often. She really has helped me so much. I would never in the world want her to go through such a difficult trial, but I am grateful she has shared her experience and perspective with me. It has helped me in so many ways. Life can be so easy to take for granted. It is so easy to live each day comfortably without thanking my Father in Heaven for the opportunity to live each day. And in my case, to live each day with an amazing husband and a wonderful son. But as I have checked her blog, I have also had the opportunity to read some of the stories of others who have had a similar situation to Alli. As I was reading one today I was moved to tears and blessed with one of those "perspective moments". This friend has been sharing her "mommy wisdom" with Alli ever since Alli and Kyle learned of Grants condition in Nov. But as I read her post about how she had to let go of her beautiful little Gracie yesterday, (who was just a few weeks shy of her first birthday) I was just so grateful. Grateful for my family, for my many blessing and my religion. I am so grateful for the knowledge that this life is not all there is. The knowledge I can be with my family forever. It made me want to go and do recreational things with my family. It makes me want to go out and make more beautiful memories.

It reminds me of a quote from one of my favorite plays, Our town. (It think this was in a conference talk not to long ago) But in the third act, one of the main character's has a chance to go back and look at a moment of her life after she passes away. Emily asks the stage manager "Do any human beings ever realize life while they live it?—every, every minute?" I remember how this quote inspired me when I had an opportunity to help with this play at Davis High during my student teaching. I made an effort to more realize life. And today as I was reading Ali and Michele's (Gracie's mom) blogs I had those feelings again . I am going to make greater effort to appreciate the simple moments in my life. It's a great life to be living:-)
As for Alli, my super hero, she is going strong just like she always has. But I am sure she would appreciate your prayers as she goes into this exciting and uncertain time. They are going into Primary's on the 18th and leaving sometime in the months following- depending on Grants condition. I am getting a Visa Gift Card to help them with some of the expenses after Grant is born. If any of you want to contribute just email me or let me know . You can also donate directly to their meal card at Primary Childrens. There is more info here on her blog. As for Gracie and Michele I have never met them but I am sure their family would also appreciate prayers during this difficult time.

But as for me it's been a good day, a day I have laughed more and complained less. I like days when you get perspective.

2 comments:

Lynn and Shelly said...

I know how you feel Kristi! You and Cori have been my inspiration watching you live and grow through Luke and Seth. Each day we have is a miracle and we should treasure our relationships as such. - - Love you three!

Allison said...

Kristi,

Our hearts are touched. Thank you for your kindness. We love you guys.