Thursday, March 5, 2009

Learn to like it!

So I have never been an exercise buff, not something I really enjoyed. I remember vividly in the six grade track meet, I was chosen for Shot Put. Not because of my massive arm strength or because I could actually through the metal ball. But because of my total lack of ability on the track. I remember I never got the "Presidential Physical Fitness Award" Most years it was because of the mile, but 6th grade I lost that honor because of my lack of PullUp-ability. GRRRRR! So I have always had a little aversion towards running. Many of my friends run but I always just considered them more athletic than myself. But in the past year many of my friends have taken up running. So when Andrew got me a gym pass for Mother's Day last year I began by going only to cycling and yoga classes which I have always loved. But about two months ago I was inspired by so many of my running friends and I came to the realization. I am not always going to have a gym pass, athletic equipment, or a work-out class with a teacher yelling at me to push harder. I decided if I wanted an exercise I could do whenever and no matter the economic situation. So... I should learn to like running. So treadmill and I have started spending quality time together.
Now this is the point where I make a confession. I don't really "run" It's more like speed-walking with intervals of running. But I feel good about it. I have to start out with something I can do and work my way up. So last night I did my best Quazi-run ever. 8 miles!!!! So maybe the majority of it was speed-walkingness with some intervals of running. But my personal best up to this point was 5 so I thought I should document the accomplishment. Now if I could only be better about going everyday. Its funny I think my main motivation for going is to have "me" time. I have never needed "me" time before in my life, it has always been the more people to talk to the better. But I think the fact that I stay at home with Luke makes me cherish the time I don't have to look after anyone but myself. I am able to watch TV (which we don't have) and watch totally nonsense shows that make me smile:-) To be truthful, the 2 hour premier of ANTM helped me to attain my 8 miles. Its just important to take time for myself and since my only real option is the gym it helps my body too!

Andrew's parents got a running stroller for Luke for Christmas. We thought this would be good motivation for us to run. Also.... we are planning to run a "hypothetical half-marathon" that will be run at a yet undetermined time. We aren't sure where we will be this summer so it is hard to plan an official date. But the long and the short of it is I think it is good for me to try something new. I am a creature of habit and love to stick to things I know. After running my next goal is to conquer my fear of weights:-) But I have been making a little headway with that too. Just not quite as much as with running!

3 comments:

Allison said...

Love it! It was also great chatting today. Good luck on your endurance training!

Adam and Andrea Daveline said...

Adam is training for a marathon too! I am so proud of you. It takes so much dedication to stick with it. You can do it!

Rachel said...

Look at your cute little picture. :)